Sunday 23 December 2018

Taking the leap of faith

A year ago, I started developing the idea of leaving the working world entirely. Well, you must think that I'm simply frustrated at work and seeking for an easy way out.

That's only a third of the story. With any decisions I make, there is always multiple push factors behind it. Frustrations at work is commonly the first and most important reason for most people. I don't deny that in my case. The situation at work isn't the most favourable at that point in time but it was still manageable.

Secondly, I don't belong there. I'm a creative soul. I may not do well as a fashion designer, or draw very well. But I love all things DIY. Look at the christmas dress up I do every year - Avatar, Mystic (X-men), and this year Ursula. My skills in baking is amateur but there is talent underneath it all. I used to make Birthday, Christmas and New year cards for my friends in school.

My mind is constantly swirling around creative ideas about anything under the sun. Why should I stay in the financial industry?

The last reason is a mantra I always live by - Never have regrets. When it comes to dating, I always take initiative. Cos if there's a guy I like, I wouldn't want to live the rest of my life thinking "What if I'd confessed to him?". Same reason why I took off to studying fashion design and subsequently worked 2 years in that industry.

Since I met my husband, I've been slowly exploring the world of dessert making. I started Ariel's Cookies but it wasn't much of a success. Taking a break this year during my wedding preparation gave me sufficient time to think and reflect. Then many opportunities came and went for us to open a shop selling my desserts. I never felt confident enough because I haven't had enough experience and a sufficient customer base.

Then, a sad thing happen to my colleague. Her husband's brain tumour relapse out of the blue after being cured many years ago. All of a sudden her life came to a stop. She couldn't pursue her dream job and could never try to be the makeup artist she dreamt of being. Her situation was like a wakeup call for me. What if one day I'm in her shoes? I will never get the chance to start my own baking business. What if one day I'm the one in a precarious situation where I'm no longer physically able to do anything at all? I would live the rest of my life sighing why did I let my fear stop me from trying.

After months of discussion with my then-fiance-now-husband, I decided to hand in my letter. With his support, I will take a short break, then dedicate my time to experimenting new bakes and trying to revive Ariel's Cookies as Auntie Ariel.

So this is the story of how my brand Auntie Ariel came about.

No comments:

Post a Comment